Sunday 20 May 2012

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche...

The other night I forced my boyfriend to watch with me Sophia Coppola's 2006 film 'Marie-Antoinette'; I don't think he appreciated me forcing him to sit through the two hours of what is basically a montage of her life at Versailles before the French Revolution.

As a history student I have previously studied this era and Marie-Antoinette but watching Coppola's film it made me realize how much I love this period for french style fashion and how much of a style icon she was.

Marie-Antoinette is known for the saying "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" (Let them eat cake) and her marriage to Louis XVI of France; she is also known for her clothes and fashion. The Marie-Antoinette fashion is distinctive; elaborate gowns with panniers to create the look of wide hips, tight corseted top, and tall and fancy powdered up dos to give a regal air and make them seem tall.

Marie-Antoinette didn't invent the fashions at the time but she promoted the new radical trends from Paris through her public persona; this is similar to what celebrities are doing now for high-end designers, and this all started with her.









I just love the fashion that she embodied at the time - costume fashion is exciting and also cheers up a dull history lecture about 18th century France.


B.


No comments:

Post a Comment